FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA)
FOIA OFFICERS FOR THE STATE’S ATTORNEY’S OFFICE:
JAMES A. MACK
VALORIE L. SMITH
Description and Purpose of the State’s Attorney’s Office:
The State’s Attorney has the exclusive and statutory responsibility of prosecuting violations of the criminal laws of the State of Illinois, as well as many other regulatory laws of the state and county, including traffic violations. The State’s Attorney is also the lawyer for the county, providing legal advice to county officials and entities. The State’s Attorney is responsible for representing, filing and presentation of cases brought by the county, or county officials, and defending cases brought against the county or county officials.
Office Location: 120 N. Fourth Street, P.O. Box 20, Hennepin, Illinois 61327
Fiscal Budget for this Office: $183,846.00
Number of employees: Full-Time: 2 Part-Time: 2
Records available through a FOIA request of the State’s Attorney’s Office:
Active warrants, closed criminal case files, closed civil case files where the County of Putnam was a party, incident information and/or reports after final determination not to pursue has been made, closed case files regarding Traffic, DUI, and Conservation Violations, and administrative documents.
Records available immediately through a FOIA request Of the State’s Attorney’s Office:
The Freedom of Information Act is a State Statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records
How to File a Freedom of Information Act Request With the Putnam County State’s Attorney’s Office
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Office of the Putnam County State’s Attorney:
- Please make your request in writing. The Office of the Putnam County State’s Attorney does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, or e-mail. Please direct your request to:
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of the Putnam County State’s Attorney, please call (815) 925-7378 during regular business hours of 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
FOIA OFFICER – James A. Mack
FOIA OFFICER – Valorie L. Smith
Office of the Putnam County State’s Attorney
120 N. Fourth Street
P.O. Box 20
Hennepin, IL 61327
Fax: (815) 925-9448
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a $0.15- cent-per-page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest – not simply your personal interest – and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
- Sample request forms available upon request.