Description and Purpose of the County Clerk & Recorder’s Office
The County Clerk’s division of local county government is responsible for vital records, county board proceedings and tax related records as well as voter registration and the conduct of all elections. The County Clerk is also the Health and Life Insurance Plan Representative and the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund Plan Representative.
The Recorder’s division of local county government administrates the recording of legal land record documents such as deeds, mortgages, releases, assignments, liens, and plats of survey. The division also records and maintains the files of military discharge papers (DD Form 214’s).
120 N. Fourth Street, P.O. Box 236, Hennepin, Illinois 61327
Regular Office Hours
9:00 A.M. until 4 P.M., Monday through Friday (The County Clerk & Recorder is also available to the public before and/or after normal business hours by appointment and also on weekends by appointment)
Fiscal Budget (December 1, 2012 – November 30, 2013)
Number of Employees
Full-Time: 2 Part-Time: 0
Public Record Documents Available Through A FOIA Request
Birth, Death, Marriage Records (if qualified to receive); Land Records; Voter Registration Records; Election Records; Accounts Payable Records; County Board Records; Assumed Name Records; Notary Public Records; Statements of Economic Interest; Campaign Disclosure Records (D-2’s); Tax Extension Records; Delinquent Tax Listings; Budgets, Levies for Tax Districts; Liquor Licenses; Military Discharge Records (DD Form 214’s); IMRF Records, Uniform Commercial Code Records
How To File A Freedom Of Information Request With The County Clerk & Recorder
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Office of the Putnam County Clerk & Recorder:
- Please make your request in writing. The Office of the Putnam County Clerk & Recorder does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, or e-mail. Please direct your request to:
FOIA OFFICER – Daniel S. Kuhn
Office of the Putnam County Clerk & Recorder
120 N. Fourth Street
P.O. Box 236
Hennepin, IL 61327
Fax: (815) 925-7549
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of the Putnam County Clerk & Recorder, please call (815) 925-7129 during regular business hours of 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a $0.15 per-page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest (not simply your personal interest) and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
- Sample request forms available upon request or you may download the “Sample FOIA Request”