Official Putnam County Illinois logo

120 North 4th Street, Hennepin, IL 61327 

Hours:  Monday - Friday  9:00 - 4:00

Deputy Jacob Bush
(Putnam County Sheriff's Office)

120 N. 4th Street, P.O. Box 177
Hennepin, IL  61327

E-Mail:   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

815-925-7914 (fax)

According to the Illinois Animal Control Act, “every owner of a dog over 4 months of age shall have each dog inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian….” Therefore, every dog in Putnam County is required to have a current rabies vaccination and be registered with Putnam County Animal Control. Putnam County does not require cats to be registered or vaccinated at this time.

As of January 1, 2012 a 1 year registration fee is $11.00 and the 3 year registration fee is $33.00. The fees will be collected in one sum; no longer will you be billed for the 2nd and 3rd years of the vaccination period.

When your dog receives a 1 year rabies vaccination, the $11.00 fee is collected at the time of service if your veterinarian issues a Putnam County tag. When your dog receives a 3 year rabies vaccination, the $33.00 fee is collected at the time of service if your veterinarian issues a Putnam County tag. Not all local veterinarians issue Putnam County tags. The vaccination certificates from the 1 and 3 year rabies vaccination are then sent on a monthly basis to Putnam County Animal Control (PCAC) and then put into a database.

If your veterinarian does not issue Putnam County tags or send vaccination certificates, then it is your responsibility to bring or mail us a copy of the rabies certificate. You will then pay the appropriate registration fee to PCAC, either in the form of check or cash. If your veterinarian sends PCAC the rabies certificate, PCAC will issue a tag and send a bill for the registration fee.

In Putnam County, there is not an actual “dog catcher”. Stray dogs are handled by each village’s police or the Sheriff’s deputies.   Pet control ordinances and leash laws also vary by village. Please contact the individual village for questions pertaining to ordinances or requirements.

If you want to report a stray dog, you can call the village police or the Sheriff’s department. If available, a deputy/officer may be dispatched. Please note that the rural areas of the county do not have a leash law and often these dogs are truly not strays. If you feel the animal may be in harm or is causing grief in a particular area, please call the most appropriate law enforcement official.

If you have lost your dog please call the local police and the Sheriff’s department, as well as McNabb Veterinary so that we may help locate your dog and notify your family if a dog is found. If you have questions about a found animal, please call McNabb Veterinary.

PCAC/McNabb Veterinary does not deal with wild animals such as deer, skunk, bats, raccoon, etc. If you have questions/concerns in regards to this matter, please contact IL Department of Natural Resources (IL DNR).